Established in 2006, Gulf Capital has become the region’s most successful alternative investment firm with a track record of industry-leading returns and performance. It has grown its shareholders equity by 125% in the last seven years and today has over US$3 billion in assets under management – prudently invested in the most commercially vibrant sectors of one of the world’s highest growth regions.
This success has been built on the region’s most diversified investment platforms, spread across high-growth sectors with long-term potential. From its HQ in Abu Dhabi, its experienced management team, backed by over 250 high profile shareholders including sovereign wealth funds, global financial institutions, and leading regional family groups - capitalise on a deep-rooted knowledge of the commercial landscape to source the Gulf’s most attractive investment opportunities.
Vision, Mission and Guiding Principles
- Vision: To be the premier alternative asset management firm in the Middle East.
- Mission: They grow capital and build value with world-class expertise and best practices to generate sustainable superior performance for all stakeholders.
- Guiding Principles – Gulf Capital is the premier alternative asset management firm in the Middle East. They focus on generating sustainable, superior performance for all their stakeholders, growing capital and value through world-class expertise and adherence to the following core principles:
- Teamwork and Respect
- Honesty and Integrity Credible, respectful, ethical and accountable
- Entrepreneurship and Agility People-centric, cooperative, creative and flexible
- Passion and Determination Persistent, dedicated, ambitious and responsive
- Discipline and Diligence Rigorous and consistent
- Excellence and Performance Ambitious, skilled, knowledgeable and informed
- Citizenship and Partnership Generous, approachable, equitable and compassionate
Board of Directors and Team overview
Gulf Capital is governed by a seasoned nine-member Board of Directors comprised of some of the region’s most prominent industry and investment executives.
Gulf Capital’s diverse team is made up of veteran professionals with strong local connections and extensive global financial industry experience, all united in the pursuit of their goals.
Their credit team is made up of managers who combine local market expertise with experience at tier-one global financial institutions. Its disciplined approach to the evaluation of investment opportunities emphasises the preservation of capital while generating attractive returns.
Gulf Capital’s Credit Fund overview
The flagship Gulf Credit Opportunities Fund I was launched in 2012. It specifically addresses the substantial gap in regional financing markets by providing timely acquisition finance and growth capital to mid-market companies unable to access bank lending.
Gulf Credit Partners provides bespoke, credit-based financing solutions to mid-market companies, private equity buyout investors and management led sponsorless transactions in need of development financing or debt restructuring solutions in the Middle East, North Africa, Turkey and Sub-Saharan Africa. Mezzanine financing is appropriate for a wide range of investment opportunities including acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, growth capital, and balance sheet recapitalization.
Their principal focus is preservation of capital while generating superior risk-adjusted rates of return with current income, downside protection and equity upside. Gulf Credit Partners’ objective is to generate current income and capital appreciation by investing directly in a diversified portfolio of debt instruments, including, but not limited to, mezzanine instruments, preferred equity securities, high yield debt securities, convertible and other similar income-producing debt securities and obligations.
They position themselves as a flexible investment partner and not just an institutional lender to business owners, family offices, private sector companies and financial sponsors. They invest throughout the capital structure based on a company’s business needs and tailor longer term strategies designed to achieve the company’s goals.
Gulf Credit Partners believe that environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors positively contribute to investment performance, as well as contributing to help build a more stable, sustainable and inclusive global economy. By incorporating ESG criteria into their investment decision making and investment practices they can influence the companies they invest in to improve their performance.
Gulf Credit Partners works with companies to develop capital solutions tailored around specific requirements. For over four years they have been structuring bespoke solutions that can include senior and subordinated debt, as well as equity and a breadth of investment solutions to meet refinancing or acquisition objectives.
Gulf Capital’s credit portfolio consists of promising companies in vital sectors such as education, communications, energy and health care.
Gulf Capital’s credit business offers bespoke financing solutions to mid-market companies and private equity sponsors operating in the Middle East, North Africa, Turkey and Sub-Saharan Africa. Gulf Credit Partners applies a disciplined and credit-oriented approach to evaluating investment opportunities, and seek to invest in companies that meet the following investment criteria:
- Solid sector fundamentals, non-cyclical industries with stable and positive fundamentals;
- Experienced management teams;
- Solid historical financial performance and robust cash flow generation;
- Realistic business plans with compelling, value-added uses of capital;
- Strong corporate governance practices; and
- Contractually defined exit alternatives.
Gulf Credit Partners invests in companies that are generating more than $5 million in EBITDA and have revenues between $25 million and $250 million.